Many people struggle with depression or a chronic feeling of being “down”. Life can be challenging, and we may get stuck in a frustrating cycle of low mood, low energy, negative self-talk, hopelessness, and disengagement from the things around us. When we’re in that spot emotionally, it’s very difficult to have the motivation to do the types of things that might actually make us feel better and the self-defeating cycle just continues.
Even if we aren’t feeling acutely depressed or sad, we may have periods when we feel a pervasive sense of dissatisfaction about our lives and need some guidance in determining why and what will make us feel more satisfied and fulfilled.
Counseling can help you:
- Better understand patterns in how you think, feel, behave, and perceive the world
- Identify what triggers certain thoughts, feelings, or behaviors
- Develop new coping skills and tools to better manage your mood, stress, and problematic ways of thinking (such as cognitive reframing and mindfulness)
- Address the use of alcohol and/or drugs
- Explore and improve your relationships and support system
- Understand the impact of your personal history on your personality development
- Improve how you make decisions, problem-solve, and manage conflict
- Maximize your strengths, reduce negative thinking patterns, and boost self-esteem
- Gain a sense of direction and control over your life