The teenage years can be difficult and early intervention and support can significantly improve your child’s ability to successfully navigate through it. Teens are facing increased academic pressure, a more competitive job market, challenging interpersonal and family relationships, and the impacts of social media. Sometimes teenagers struggle in multiple areas in their life, but it’s also very common for a teen to be doing quite well in one area but have difficulty in another.
When working with teenagers I focus on creating a comfortable, safe, and non-threatening environment. I incorporate the development of new skills and tools to better manage difficult emotions, problematic behaviors, and negative thinking patterns.
Typically when working with teenagers I meet with the parents first to gain some history about your child and to better understand your concerns. Once I start counseling regularly with your teen we will schedule parent and/or family sessions on an as-needed basis.
I can help your teen with issues such as:
- Depression, anxiety, stress, and emotional regulation
- Poor self-esteem, distorted thinking, and body-image issues
- Promiscuity, alcohol and substance abuse, and other risk behaviors
- Communication difficulties, conflict management, and decision-making
- Study habits and organizational skills
- Problems with peers and dating
- Difficulty fitting in
I also provide supportive and educational sessions exclusively for parents. Your child does not need to be in counseling with me in order to attend. These sessions focus on:
- Developing a better understanding of your child’s development and specific needs
- How to create a positive and supportive home environment
- Communication skills
- Rules, boundaries, and discipline
- Conflict management
- How to navigate difficult topics such as sex and substance abuse