Positive, healthy relationships require thoughtfulness and effort. I can provide a supportive, structured, and nonjudgmental environment that can allow you to productively explore areas of concern, find new solutions, and feel more satisfied in your relationship. I focus on helping couples use empathy, humor, and constructive interactions to bridge gaps and solve problems in a new way.
Common issues that I help with include infidelity, sexual concerns, anger/resentment, parenting problems, and difficulty communicating. I also work with couples who are in the process of separating or need assistance determining if they want to separate. If your partner is ambivalent about counseling I can meet with just one of you to provide support and guidance in how to better manage the relationship.
Many people entering couples counseling have concerns that the therapist will take someone’s “side”. When I work with couples I take a team viewpoint, meaning that either you both win or you both lose at having a healthy and satisfying relationship. There is not a focus on blame. I help each person understand how they contribute to the dynamic of the relationship and encourage both personal and shared accountability when addressing problems.
Counseling can help you to:
- Get through a crisis such as infidelity or loss
- Understand existing roles, expectations, and patterns in how you think and behave
- Improve how you communicate, handle conflict, and navigate needs for autonomy
- Explore and understand the strengths and vulnerabilities in your relationship
- Learn the importance of positive interactions, empathy, and friendship
- Understand how your personal history and family dynamics impact your relationship
- Re-establish emotional and physical intimacy and address sexual problems