Narcissism is a personality disorder characterized by a grandiose sense of self-importance, lack of empathy, and an extreme sensitivity to criticism and inability to take accountability for behavior. These personality traits cause significant problems in relationships. Narcissists never develop an authentic sense of self and the ability to genuinely connect with others. Therefore, they are typically highly adept at exploiting other people to meet their own needs. Their partners and family members are often left feeling continually manipulated, controlled, and demeaned.
If you are in an intimate relationship with a narcissist I can help you:
- Better identify and understand your partner’s destructive behaviors and their impact on you
- Explore what drew you to the relationship
- Learn how to better manage the relationship or terminate it
Narcissistic parents consistently put their own needs above those of their children, lack the ability to emotionally connect with their child, are frequently critical and manipulative, and redirect attention to themselves. The negative impact to their children can be significant and long-lasting. Adult children of narcissistic parents often grow up to have distorted views of love, struggle with feelings of inadequacy, anxiety and depression, and challenges in their relationships.
If you are a child of a narcissist I can help you to:
- Understand the impact of being raised by a narcissistic parent
- Better understand your parent’s behavior and accept what will not change
- Grieve for the parent you wanted but didn’t have
- Develop a stronger, more positive sense of self and deal with triggers
- Determine what type of relationship and boundaries to have with parent
- Become aware of and better manage your own narcissistic tendencies
I am certified in Dr. Karyl McBride’s ‘Will I Ever Be Good Enough?’ five- step recovery model for treating adult children of narcissistic parents.